Coppertone Voluntarily Recalls Specific Aerosols Sunscreen Due to Benzene
Coppertone, which is owned by Beiersdorf, is voluntarily recalling certain lots of aerosol sunscreen sprays that were manufactured between January 10, 2021, and June 15, 2021, and sold directly to the general public. Coppertone has determined that these lots of products contain benzene.
The Recalled Product Lots
This voluntary Coppertone Aerosol Sunscreen Spray Recall 2021 affects twelve lots of the Coppertone spray products, specifically:
- UPC 00072140028817 CT P&S BABY SPF50 SPRAY 5OZ 12S Lot: TN0083J — Manufacturing Date 1/10/2021
- UPC 00072140028817 CT P&S BABY SPF50 SPRAY 5OZ 12S Lot: TN0083K — Manufacturing Date 1/11/2021
- UPC 00072140028824 CT P&S KIDS SPF50 SPRAY 5OZ 12S Lot: TN00854 — Manufacturing Date: 1/12/2021
- UPC 00072140028824 CT P&S KIDS SPF50 SPRAY 5OZ 12S Lot: TN00855 — Manufacturing Date: 1/14/2021
- UPC 00072140028701 CT SPORT MIN SPF50 SPRAY 5OZ 12S Lot: TN008KU — Manufacturing Date: 3/15/2021
- UPC 00072140028701 CT SPORT MIN SPF50 SPRAY 5OZ 12S Lot: TN008KV — Manufacturing Date: 3/16/2021
- UPC 00072140028800 CT P&S SPF50 SPRAY 5OZ 12S Lot: TN00BR2 — Manufacturing Date: 3/31/2021
- UPC 00072140028817 CT P&S BABY SPF50 SPRAY 5OZ 12S Lot: TN009GH — Manufacturing Date: 3/31/2021
- UPC 00072140028824 CT P&S KIDS SPF50 SPRAY 5OZ 12S Lot: TN00857 — Manufacturing Date: 4/6/2021
- UPC 00041100005069 CT SPORT SPRAY SPF50 1.6OZ 24S Lot: TN00BU3 — Manufacturing Date: 5/6/2021
- UPC 00072140028800 CT P&S SPF50 SPRAY 5OZ 12S Lot: TN00CJ4 — Manufacturing Date: 6/15/2021
- UPC 00072140028824 CT P&S KIDS SPF50 SPRAY 5OZ 12S Lot: TN00CJV — Manufacturing Date: 6/15/2021
Hazard Associated with Benzene
Benzene is a known human carcinogen. Exposure to the said chemical can occur via inhalation, oral intake, or skin contact and, depending on the quantity and extent of exposure, may raise the chance of developing cancers such as leukemia, as well as blood cancers of the bone marrow and other potentially fatal blood disorders.
Daily exposure to benzene at the levels observed in these Coppertone aerosol sunscreen spray products is not likely to have any detrimental effect on health, according to widely recognized exposure modeling by multiple regulatory bodies.
Coppertone recalls these specific aerosol sunscreen spray products out of an abundance of caution. The company has received no reports associated with this recall to date.
The sunscreen spray products that have been voluntarily recalled are contained in aerosol cans. The products subject to recall were distributed throughout the U.S. via a variety of merchants. Consumers must immediately stop using the products and properly dispose of them.
How to Reach FDA Regarding the Recalled Product
Consumers may reach 1-888-921-1537 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST) beginning September 30, 2021. (PT). Additionally, consumers may visit https://www.sunscreenrecall2021.com/External Link Disclaimer to demand a refund for the product and obtain additional information.
Coppertone is also communicating to its retailers and arranging for the return of all voluntarily recalled sunscreen spray lots. Consumers should see their physician or healthcare professional if they have any concerns about possible side effects from using these products.
Adverse reactions or product quality problems may be submitted to the FDA’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online, standard mail, or fax.
Complete and submit the report online, via mail, or by fax: To obtain a reporting form, download it or contact 1-800-332-1088, then complete and return it to the location on the pre-addressed form, or fax it to 1-800-FDA-0178
Editor’s Note on Coppertone Aerosol Sunscreen Spray Recall 2021:
This article is written to inform you of the latest Coppertone recall over the presence of benzene, a carcinogenic chemical, in its sunscreen spray products. We also suggest you read Coppertone Mineral-based Sunscreen Settlement for $2.5 million.
Reason: Coppertone determined the presence of benzene, a carcinogenic chemical, in its product.
Have you checked if your Coppertone aerosol sunscreen is part of the recall? Tell us by clicking the “Contact Us” button below!