Walmart Recalls 3,900 Better Homes and Gardens Room Spray Due to Possible Dangerous Bacteria
Walmart recalled 3,900 bottles of Better Homes and Gardens-branded Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones in six different scents because of the possibility of contamination with a rare and dangerous bacteria, posing a risk of serious injury or death.
Recall Products May Cause Deadly Disease
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed, via testing a version of the product, that a variant of the product had the dangerous bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei, which causes Melioidosis. The CDC is examining a cluster of four melioidosis cases in the United States, including two deaths. Cases, including one involving a child fatality, have been documented in Kansas, Minnesota, Texas, and Georgia.
The CDC discovered the presence of this deadly bacteria in samples taken from a bottle of Better Homes and Gardens Lavender & Chamomile aromatherapy room spray at the Georgia victim’s house.
From February 2021 to October 2021, the aromatherapy room spray was offered for approximately $4 at about 55 Walmart branches nationwide and also online at walmart.com. The label printed on the front of the 5 fl. oz glass bottle reads, “Better Homes and Gardens Aromatherapy.”
According to the CDC, Melioidosis is hard to diagnose and is frequently mistaken with other diseases like tuberculosis or more common varieties of pneumonia.
Localized pain or swelling, fever, ulceration, abscess, lung infection, cough, chest discomfort, anorexia, bloodstream infection, central nervous system/brain infection, respiratory distress, and seizures are some of the symptoms that may occur.
Products Included in the Recall
The room spray products were offered with a pump spray nozzle with the following scents and product numbers:
- Better Homes and Gardens Gem Room Spray Lavender & Chamomile 84140411420
- Better Homes and Gardens Gem Room Spray Lemon and Mandarin 84140411421
- Better Homes and Gardens Gem Room Spray Lavender 84140411422
- Better Homes and Gardens Gem Room Spray Peppermint 84140411423
- Better Homes and Gardens Gem Room Spray Lime & Eucalyptus 84140411424
- Better Homes and Gardens Gem Room Spray Sandalwood and Vanilla 84140411425
Walmart has discontinued selling the product. The product was manufactured in India. Additionally, customers that return the product will receive a $20 Walmart Gift Card.
CDC Guidelines for Consumers of the Product
Following the CDC’s guidelines, consumers are advised to:
- Immediately discontinue the use of the product. Do not attempt to open the bottle. Do not dispose of or throw away the bottle.
- Double bag the product in a small cardboard box in a clear zip-top resealable bag and return it to a Walmart store.
- Wash linen or sheets that may have been sprayed with the product with regular washing detergent and completely dry in a hot dryer; bleach may be used if necessary.
- Wipe down counters and other exposed surfaces with an undiluted disinfecting cleaner.
- Minimize product handling and carefully wash hands after handling the product or linens. After removing gloves, thoroughly wash hands.
Editor’s Note on Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Spray Recall:
This article is written to inform you of the latest recall from Walmart regarding its aromatherapy room spray product over Melioidosis contamination.
Case Name & No.: Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Spray Recall, 2021
Reason: The products subject to the recall may contain Burkholderia pseudomallei, a rare and dangerous bacteria
Have you bought the product subject to the recall? Tell us by clicking the “Contact Us” button below!