Report Fraud About Us What We Do

Consumer News

1.6M Hondas Recalled To Replace Deadly Takata Airbag Inflators

Honda says it is recalling 1.6 million vehicles to replace the potentially deadly Takata airbag inflators. The company is completing its required recalls of 22.6 million inflators in about 12.9 million vehicles six months ahead of schedule.

The Problem

According to a report by an NBC affiliate, WFLA, “Takata inflators can explode with too much force and blow apart a metal canister, spewing shrapnel. Twenty-four people have been killed and hundreds injured by the inflators worldwide. Honda was Takata’s largest customer.”

The Vehicles Affected

The recalls affect a number of 2003-2015 Honda and Acura models. Those models include the following:

  • 2001-2012 Accord
  • 2010-2015 Crosstour
  • 2001-2011 Civic
  • 2002-2011 CR-V
  • 2011-2015 CR-Z
  • 2003-2011 Element
  • 2007-2014 Fit
  • 2010-2014 Insight
  • 2002-2004 Odyssey
  • 2003-2015 Pilot
  • 2006-2014 Ridgeline
  • 2003 3.2CL
  • 2013 ILX
  • 2003-2006 MDX
  • 2015 RDX
  • 2005-2012 RL
  • 2002-2003 3.2TL
  • 2009-2014 TL
  • 2009-2014 TSX
  • 2010-2013 ZDX

The Fix

Honda says it has either repaired or accounted for 83 percent of the affected vehicles. The remaining 17 percent either had the inflators found in junkyards or are no longer in use.

Although owners are to be will be notified starting in mid-August, Honda urges customers to schedule repairs ASAP.

Do you have additional information about this recall? Is there another recall you want us to cover? Tell us in the comments below. You can also contact us for more information! Feel free to shoot us an email to Outreach@ConsiderTheConsumer.com. You can also find us on TwitterFacebook, InstagramLinkedIn, or even connect with us directly on our website!

About the Author: Aisha K. Staggers is a writer, lecturer, political analyst and literary agent. She appears weekly for “Staggers’ State of Things” on the Dr. Vibe Show. Her work has been published by Paper Magazine, AfroPunk, The Spool, GREY Journal, MTV News, HuffPost, Blavity, Atlanta Blackstar, For Harriet, New York Review of Books and a host of other first-run publications and syndicated outlets. Find her on Twitter @AishaStaggers. For more of her work, check out her page here!

Interested in posts like these? Stay up to date with our newsletter!

No thoughts on “1.6M Hondas Recalled To Replace Deadly Takata Airbag Inflators” yet. Be the first to speak your mind!

Leave a Reply