WEN Settlement 2021
The maker of WEN hair care products has agreed to enter into a settlement agreement to end the litigation filed against them by complainants.
A Look At The WEN Class Action By Complainant Amy Friedman
The WEN Hair Loss & Scalp Irritation Class Action Lawsuitinvolved allegations that a number of WEN hair products caused scalp irritation and hair loss to its users. Filed in a Florida court by plaintiff Amy Friedman, the class action contended that WEN by Chaz Dean Inc. and Guthy-Renker LLC made representations to entice customers into buying their hair products.
With statements claiming that WEN hair care items are safe to use, Friedman expected that they are going to use a premium product after paying for it. However, she and others experienced scalp irritation and hair loss after using different products from the two abovementioned defendants.
After receiving several complaints, officials from the Food and Drug Administration or FDA also decided to step in. They launched an investigation stemming from the allegations raised by consumers.
To put an end to all of the related legal proceedings revolving around the class action, both WEN by Chaz Dean Inc. and Guthy-Renker LLC have decided to enter into a settlement agreement with the plaintiff’s case.
The two companies ended up agreeing to pay $26 million and above to serve as settlement funds in the settlement proceedings.
WEN Hair Loss & Scalp Irritation Settlement Agreement’s Key Details
Listed below are some of the key information to take note of in this settlement case:
1. Those who bought any WEN hair care product from the 1st of November 2007 to 19th of September 2016 are considered to be eligible for a settlement payment.
2. The following WEN hair care products are included in the settlement:
- Anti-Frizz Styling Crème
- Bath Body and Hair Oil
- Cleansing Conditioner
- Defining Paste
- Detangling Treatment Spray
- Finishing Treatment Crème
- Glossing Shine Serum
- Men Control Texture
- Men Hair and Body Oil
- Nourishing Mousse
- Re-Moist Intensive Hair Treatment
- Re-Moist Mask
- Replenishing Treatment Mist
- SIXTHIRTEEN Ultra Nourishing Cleansing Treatment
- Smoothing Glossing Serum
- Straightening Smoothing Gloss
- Styling Crème
- Texture Balm
- Texturizing Spray
- Treatment Mist Duo
- Treatment Oil
- Volumizing Root Lift
- Volumizing Treatment Spray
3. Eligible claimants fall into two categories: Tier 1 involved customers who bought and used any of the abovementioned products that can claim $25 for personal injury, and Tier 2 included buyers who can make a claim of up to $20,000 in the event that they have documented adverse reactions to using any of the listed WEN hair care products;
4. The deadline for submission of claims was on the 28th of April 2017;
5. The court heard the final hearing proceedings until the 24th of July 2017;
6. As of writing, Tier 1 Class Member claimants have already been able to receive their $25 settlement checks.
Editor’s Note on WEN Hair Loss & Scalp Irritation Settlement:
This class action settlement post report is a feature that discusses the settlement proceedings involving WEN and unsatisfied customers. You might also be interested in reading about the Emily Lewis Settlement from Selsun Blue Anti-Dandruff Shampoo Lawsuit.
Case Name(s) & No.: Amy Friedman v. Guthy-Renker, et al.; Case No.: 2:14-cv-06009-ODW
Jurisdiction: United States (U.S.) District Court for the Central District of California
Products/Services Involved: Different WEN hair care products
Allegation(s): Defendants WEN by Chaz Dean Inc. and Guthy-Renker LLC’s products allegedly caused customers to experience scalp irritation and hair loss.
What are your thoughts on this piece? Please send us a message by clicking the ‘Contact Us’ button below! We’d love to hear back from you.