Tennessee’s Rutherford County To Pay Up Juvenile Individuals Up To $4,800 In Class Action Settlement
Young people who were in custody at the Rutherford County Juvenile Detention Center on or before the 14th of October 2015 are part of this settlement.
K.W., ex rel Kanisa Davis, et al. v. Rutherford County
A Look At The Rutherford County Juvenile Detention Center Class Action Case
The Rutherford County Juvenile Detention Center Settlement comes from a case filed against the authorities for purported abuses and transgressions of the law carried out against juvenile prisoners.
The case brought up the alleged misdeeds done by jail officials in relation to their actions, policies and protocols, and the like while treating inmates held under their watch.
The facility and its different personnel and staff members have vehemently denied any wrongdoings on their part. However, they accepted and entered into a settlement agreement and promised to pay a settlement amount equivalent to $11 million.
Settlement Agreement Initial Details
Consider The Consumer has listed down the following information you need to know if you want to join this case’s settlement proceedings and possibly get your rightful compensation.
Eligible claimants belong in two main categories (terms and conditions apply):
- The Arrest Class Group consists of members who were put under custody by a sheriff’s deputy of Rutherford County prior to being taken to the Rutherford County Juvenile Detention Center facility, accused of a juvenile offense, and were put under custody after the 26th of July 2016 or were born after the 26th of July 1998
- The Detention Class Group includes members that were detained at the detention facility of Rutherford County before being summoned to court for a juvenile offense case hearing, detained between the 14th of October 2015 and the 21st of June 2021, or were born after the 14th of October 1997
- Early estimates suggest that members of the Arrest Class Group can get $1,000 for each valid claim while those from the Detention Class Group can get $4,800 per valid claim;
- The Rutherford County Juvenile Detention Center Settlement amount for each claimant depends on their personal situation. Different considerations and factors such as eligibility to both class groups and multiple instances of detentions and arrests may affect the final settlement sum each qualified individual can receive;
- The final date for filing a claim is on the 29th of October 2021;
- Those who don’t want to be included in the ongoing settlement process may send their requests to the settlement administrator on or before the 4th of October 2021;
- A court-appointed final hearing date is scheduled for the 3rd of December, 2021.
Editor’s Note on Rutherford County Juvenile Detention Center Settlement:
This feature aims to provide you the latest information about the settlement proceedings involving the case brought up against Rutherford County’s juvenile detention facility for alleged misdeeds. We also recommend you to read the Alameda County Santa Rita Jail ADA Settlement.
Case Name(s) & No.(s): K.W., et al. v. Rutherford County; Case No.: 3:17-cv-1014
Jurisdiction: United States (U.S.) District Court Middle District of Tennessee, Nashville Division
Allegation(s): Rutherford County’s personnel from the Juvenile Detention Center have transgressed the law in handling juvenile individuals put under their supervision and/or custody.
What are your thoughts on this piece? Please send us a message by clicking the ‘Contact Us’ button below! We’d love to hear back from you.