What to Know About the Costa Sunglasses Lifetime Warranty Lawsuit
A class action lawsuit was filed against sunglasses maker Costa Del Mar for allegedly violating the law by requiring consumers to pay warranty fees.
According to the class action lawsuit, the fees violated Costa representations that promised a lifetime warranty on sunglasses purchases.
You can read about the class action lawsuit under: Smith, et al. v. Costa Del Mar Inc., Case No. 3:18-cv-01011, M.D. FLA.
Are you or affected by the allegations in the class action lawsuit and think that you are entitled to a settlement? Feel free to contact us today for help.
Costa Del Mar Sunglasses Settlement Details
Costa Del Mar has denied any wrongdoing but has agreed to settle the class action lawsuit with more than $60 million in benefits. The settlement includes $40 million in product vouchers and an additional $21 million by covering shipping and handling on purchases made using the vouchers.
Consumers who benefit from the settlement include:
- Florida Purchase Class: Florida customers who purchased Costa Plano sunglasses from July 28, 2013, to Jan. 31, 2018;
- Florida Repair Class: Florida customers who purchased Costa Plano sunglasses before Jan. 1, 2018, and were charged a warranty fee by Costa since July 28, 2012, to repair or replace their Costa Plano sunglasses damaged by accident, normal wear and tear, or misuse;
- Nationwide Repair Class: Consumers (excluding Florida residents) who purchased Costa Plano sunglasses before Jan. 1, 2018, and were charged a repair fee by Costa since April 3, 2015, to repair or replace their Costa Plano sunglasses damaged by accident, normal wear and tear, or misuse;
- Warranty Class: Consumers purchased nonprescription Costa sunglasses prior to Jan. 1, 2016, and paid Costa a warranty fee to repair or replace nonprescription sunglasses damaged by a manufacturer’s defect since Aug. 20, 2013.
The Florida Purchase Class, Florida Repair Class, and Nationwide Repair Class include all Costa brand non-prescription, non-promotional sunglasses except for USA Limited Edition, Kenny Chesney Limited Edition, and Ocearch Special Collection sunglasses.
The settlement awards consumers with vouchers using the following schedule:
- Florida Repair Class: $19.99 vouchers;
- Nationwide Repair Class: $19.99 vouchers;
- Florida Purchase Class: $10 vouchers;
- Warranty Class: $8.99 vouchers.
Consumers can claim multiple vouchers in the claim form. But documentation of purchases is required for consumers claiming more than five purchases.
Valid claim forms must be filed by January 31, 2021. The deadline for exclusion is set on January 31, 2021, while the deadline for objection is on March 1, 2021. The final approval hearing for the Costa sunglasses lifetime warranty settlement is scheduled for April 20, 2021.
If you’re affected by the Costa Sunglasses Lifetime Warranty lawsuit settlement, we’d love to hear from you.
Editor’s note on the Costa Del Mar Sunglasses Class Action Settlement:
This piece is written about the recent Costa Del Mar Sunglasses Settlement . If you are considered eligible to be among the class of consumers described in the class action lawsuit settlement, you may eventually be able to participate in receiving any compensation the court may award.
If you believe that what is alleged in the Costa Sunglasses Lifetime Warranty class action settlement has affected you, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
We’d be happy to help you take a step in the right direction, fight this issue, and better enable you to join the consumer class action. If interested, please send an email to Outreach@ConsiderTheConsumer.com, find us on Twitter or Facebook, or even connect with us directly on our website! We look forward to hearing from you all.
Similarly, please check out our current list of Class Actions and Class Action Investigations, here.
Interested in articles like these? Become a subscriber below!